Learn to love your body, bikini ready or not. The best way to get summer ready is to um… get on the beach… regardless of how you look. We encourage people to get outdoors, to enjoy what nature has to offer and we wouldn’t want you to miss out because you’re not rocking an itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini. Seriously though, we do know swimwear shopping can be frustrating, not finding the right fit or shape can be challenging and there’s endless options making it even harder for you to choose between them all. Whether you’re curvy or athletic, we have top tips and tricks that can help your decision when it comes to ladies swimwear. So stop looking at filtered photos on Instagram and edited photos in magazines and let’s get organised for a fun filled day by the pool or beach. Hit the waters with confidence — you’ve got this, girl. We’re right behind you.
Best Swimwear for your Body Shape
Our bodies all come in various different shapes and sizes and knowing your shape before purchasing swimwear could be extremely beneficial.
The pear is characterised by large hips which are wider than the bust and shoulders. Other characteristics include a defined waist and slim arms and shoulders. Is this you? We would recommend showing off your waistline so that the eyes focus on that area. Note to self – high waisted items are your best friend.
An apple body shape tends to carry most of their weight on the top half of their bodies with an ample bust and a curved stomach. They tend to have slender arms and legs. We would recommend wearing bright colours on your lower body to lead the eyes down. Details on a hemline also brings attention to the legs.
The hourglass shape is defined by a woman’s body measurements. The circumference of the bust, waist and hips. Hourglass body shapes have a wide bust and a narrow waist with wide hips and a similar measurement to that of the bust. We would recommend thinking about colour as your eye is drawn to patterns and light, bright colours more so than solid black or navy.
The rectangle or ruler body type gives the appearance of a straight shape meaning the waist is not much smaller than the hips and bust. Your shoulders and hips will be roughly the same measurement with the little waist definition and, whether you are a size 8 or 20 you can still have a straight body shape.
How to Find the Right Fit for you?
We have a collection of tops, bottoms and flattering swimming costumes that you’re able to mix and match as you please. With bold colours and fun prints there’s plenty to choose from.
- A one piece swimming costume will help smooth out your torso. We would choose one with shirred panels, details, dark or solid colours.
- High-waisted bikini bottoms are great for pear shaped bodies as they make your legs look longer and keep you well held in. If you’re short or long in the torso, this is also a good option for you.
- Halterneck tops draw attention to the bust, as do triangle tops. Bandeau style tops will make the bust appear wider.
- If you have a small bust, look out for bikini tops with a lot of detail – this could include frills or bows.
- If you have a large bust, look for a cut which goes straight across your body, preferably with wide straps. We would also suggest trying a bikini top with underwire.
- Look out for graphic patterns as they keep your eyes moving. This could include chevron or vertical/angled stripes. We would also suggest a small scale pattern which gives the illusion of you being smaller.